Immigration Issues/H1B duration after 1 year stay out of US

Question
Hi Ajay,

I have stayed in US for 2 years from Jan,2007 to DEC 2008 from employer A. I stayed out of US for 1 year 3 months and returned to US (Mar, 2010) on same H1B with the same employer and staying in US since then. I changed employer in DEC 2011 to employer B.

My Question is, do I get to stay 6 years from Mar 2010 as I stayed out of US for more than one year?

Please suggest.

Answer

When Employer A filed the H1B petition for you after absence from the U.S. for one year and 3 months, did the employer file a cap-subject petition? If he did, then the six year clock starts from March 2010. However, if Employer A filed the petition for you requesting the remainder of the time available to you with the six year clock from Jan. 2007, then you do not get a new six year clock from March 2010. The H1B petition (Form I-129) will need to be examined to see if the petition was cap-subject or not.

Ajay K. Arora