Immigration Issues/Reactivating old h1b visa

Question
My H1B visa was applied in 2007 and I worked for couple of months on that. In May 2008, I got my visa status changed to H4. In 2011, I got my F1 visa and did my Masters in Computer Science from Harvard University. Now I have following questions:

1. My previous H1b visa was valid from Oct/2007 till Sept/2010. If I want to apply for H1b now, do I have to go through cap filing?
2. As my Masters program qualify for STEM, how can it help me in H1b visa filing process? If I have a job then can I apply for H1b anytime?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer

As you held H1B status at some point within the past 6 years, an H1B petition can be filed for you now requesting change of status from F1 to H1B and you will not be subject to the visa cap.

As you qualify for STEM, you can instead work for your employer (assuming that the employer is enrolled in e-verify) in STEM. The H1B petition can be filed anytime.

Ajay K. Arora