Immigration Issues/Spousal Sponsorship - Declaration of Severance of Common-law

Question
Hi Ravi,

As I am now married and applying to sponsor my spouse for permanent residency in Canada, must I include in my application a Declaration of severance of common‑law relationship? My previous relationship was only common-law by the fact that we lived together for over a year. We had no joint bank accounts or anything else. I have included his info in our application. The relationship lasted a little over 2 years and ended several months before I met my husband over two years ago.

If I must include this document, is it just a letter from myself or must I have it notarized / certified by a commissioner of oaths?

thank you so much, almost done with the package!

Answer
Hi Annika,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Since you were previously in a common law relationship, you must submit a notarized copy of declaration of severance of common‑law relationship. Please find the sample below, which you can amend as per your requirements.

SAMPLE STATUTORY DECLARATION OF SEVERANCE OF COMMON-LAW RELATIONSHIP

Country:
Province:

In the matter of an application made pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations and in the matter of common-law union, I, (name), of the city of (city), in the province of (province), do solemnly declare that:

1.The common-law relationship between myself and (name) ended on (date).
2.At no time since our relationship ended have we lived together, nor tried to reconcile the relationship.
3.This declaration is made with the knowledge that it is being relied upon by Immigration Canada.

I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing it to be true, and knowing that it is of the same force and effect as if made under oath.

Your Name:          Your Signature

Name and signature of Commissioner of Oaths:
Declared before me at the city of (city),
in the province of (province), this (
number)the day of (month) of the year (year).

I hope this helps.

Ravi

Ravi Khosla