Immigration Issues/entering while awaiting lmo

Hi Ravi

My husband has accepted a job from an Albertan employer skill level B who has already obtained an open LMO. The employer has applied to Service Canada to have my husband's name added to this LMO which we understand takes 2-3 weeks. We are leaving our home country of  Ireland in just a couple of days and I need advice on what to do at POE. Should we enter as visitors or explain our situation to immigration officer with regards to the LMO ? We are concerned that we will be refused entry. My husband has no intention of working illegally we are waiting until we have the LMO. We will stay with my husband's sister (she is a permanent resident) until we get settled and we will have adequate funds to support ourselves while we wait for the LMO. Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your inquiry.

It takes 2-3 business days to get the name added on LMO and it doesn't consider open LMO because employee ONLY allowed to work for the employer, who provides it.

If I am in your shoes then I will get an LMO first and then travel to Canada along with all the supporting documents. But if you've already made the plans then I will suggest not to volunteer too much information and enter as a normal visitor. Later, change the terms and conditions from visitor to worker.

Ravi Khosla

You can ask question related to Canadian Immigration, policies and procedures.

Serving the community since last 25 years in regards to their immigration matters.

Senior Paralegal (Immigration) CVT Law Office Surrey BC