You are here:

Immigration Issues/Green Card - Minor name change


Hello Mr. Ajay,

I would like to change the LAST name of my step daughter to my(father) LAST name. All of us have Green cards and Indian citizens.

I have following questions. Any response in this regard is very much appreciated

1. Should I change LAST name in Indian Passport of my daughter - First ?
2. Should I change my Daughter’s Birth Certificate - Second ?
3. Should I change my Daughters School records - Thrid?
4. Should I change my Daughters Green Card by filling I-90 - Fourth (with name change on Indian passport as proof)?

Should I make all the changes in the above mentioned order?

Please advice. Thanks much.

Firstly, if all items [as listed] were present before her being your step daughter - then, you may first change her name in the passport; once that is done other items name change may or may not be required because you would have proof of name change by way of advertisement in news paper about the name change. Also, if she is due for Naturalization the name can be changed while filing form N-400.  

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.