Immigration Issues/H1B visa - quotas

Question
Hello,

a friend had a H1B visa which expired in 2010 . Assuming she finds a job in the US at this time, would she be subject to the H1B quotas ( for Masters degrees since she has one ) like back in 2007 when she got it or would she be exempt from the quotas since she already had a H1B in the past ?

also, assuming her passport is expiring now and she needs to make a new one, should she keep the old passport with the original visa in it / does it matter if she does not have the old passport with the original visa in it anymore?

thanks in advance for your answers

best regards

Helene

Answer

I am assuming that your friend was not employed in the U.S. in H1B status for an aggregate of 6 years ending in 2010.

Since your friend had H1B status at some point within the past 6 years, she would not be subject to the visa cap if a company files an H1B petition for her. She should obtain a new passport; copy of the earlier passport (incl. copy of visa stamp) is evidence that she earlier had H1B status.

Ajay K. Arora