Immigration Issues/implied status IEC/study permit

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
Here's my current situation:
I'm on a IEC working holiday which expires on April 8th.
Today I received the LOI for the a new IEC work permit.
Right now I'm working up north and I'm not sure if I would make it to the border in time to activate the new IEC work permit
Since I wasn't sure if I would get it in time I also sent in an application for an open work permit based on the study permit of my wife which arrived in Vegreville today.
The question now is, will I get in trouble if I go to the border a week after the working holiday visa is expired?
I know that it is not possible to extend an IEC visa but I applied for a whole new work permit and therefore should have implied status, correct? Will that be a problem when I want to activate the new IEC visa?
Thanks for all the help!

Felix

ANSWER: Hi Felix,

Thanks for your inquiry.

1.   Will I get in trouble if I go to the border a week after the working holiday visa is expired?

Officer has given huge discretion in order to process any given application. Your current work permit (IEC) can't be extended within Canada. Since you have submitted an open work permit application to Vegreville, officer might consider your request or ask you to wait, therefore there is noting to worry.

2.   Since you already applied for a whole new work permit and therefore should have implied status, correct?

Yes, thatís correct.

3.   Will that be a problem when I want to activate the new IEC visa?

There shouldn't be any problem, if you submit a new IEC application to the Consulate General of Canada in your home country and meet all admissibility and eligibility requirements.

Ravi

QUESTION: Thanks so much for your fast response, Ravi!

Just to clarify, I'm already in Canada and I also already received the LOI for the next IEC visa.
It's just that right now I don't really have time to activate it until one week after expiration of my current working holiday visa due to my work schedule.
I called CIC today and they said I can continue working because of the other OWP application that I sent in. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have a recommendation on the activation process? Wether it's better to leave and reenter by plane or just to cross the border by car and reenter?
Do you see any problem to get the IEC work permit issued by either one of those ways, especially with my current implied status?
That's what I'm a little bit worried right now.

Thank you!

Answer
In regards to IEC visa, the detailed information you probably know that you can find on the following web site:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canad

My suggestion in regards to IEC WP will be through home country. Since you have already submitted OWP and intending both the applications according to the rules of Immigration, I don't see any reason to be worried. Just wait for your OWP else apply IEC WP from home country.  

Ravi Khosla