You are here:

Immigration Issues/My wife(sponsor) wants to divorce me after I landed in Canada


Dear Mr. Koshla:

I landed in Canada about a month ago with my two dependents(19 and 20 years old) sponsored by my wife. Last week she asked me for divorce, the reasons: 1) She doesn't get alone with my dependents 2) She does't want to live with them 3) She still loves me but doesn't love my children, she thinsk that would be hypocrite. 4) She told me I have not done anything bad to her, but the main reason are my dependents.

She also told me to go back to my home country with my children and told me to leave her house. She also told me that she might not send me the PR cards once they arrive at her place and that she was going to go and talk with CIC to get my PR revoked. I don't know why she is doing that to me.
Is there a possibility she could do something at CIC? I did not lie in my sponsorcship application(was sent in at CIC before Octuber 2012), I still love her and want to fix things with her.

Dear Gerardo,

Thanks for your inquiry.

You probably know that Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has introduced amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (the Regulations) which apply to spouses, common-law or conjugal partners in a relationship of two years or less with their sponsor and who have no children in common with their sponsor at the time they submit their sponsorship application. The sponsored spouse must cohabit in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for two years from the day on which they receive their permanent resident status in Canada. If they do not remain in the relationship, the sponsored spouse’s status could be revoked. The conditional measure only applies to permanent residents whose applications are received on or after October 25, 2012—the day that the amendments came into force.

As a result of the introduction of conditional permanent residence, additional investigations may be undertaken in cases where there is reason to believe that the condition is not being met or has not been met. CIC plans to perform random assessments of the overall level of compliance on an ongoing basis.

The circumstances you mentioned above, I suggest you to contact immigration lawyer immediately and follow his or her advice. And don't take this lightly.


Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ravi Khosla


You can ask question related to Canadian Immigration, policies and procedures.


Serving the community since last 25 years in regards to their immigration matters.

Senior Paralegal (Immigration) CVT Law Office Surrey BC


©2017 All rights reserved.