Immigration Issues/starting a website while on h4 visa

Question
Hi Ajay,

Thanks for offering to help people with their visa issues online.

I recently converted from H1 to H4 for certain reasons. While staying at home I decided to start a website on a topic I am quite an expert at. All I do is write high quality articles and post them on the website. I am also planning to start interviewing friends and others on the topic in order to get their views. Since I am on H4 , I have no plans of putting any ads or making any kind of revenue from it. I am doing it to help others by sharing information and also build my skills in certain areas.

My question: My husband is applying for his green card and he will get it in another 6-8 months. By then my site will start attracting significant traffic. Is it legal to start monetizing my website once we get our green cards.

Thanks for taking your time to read my question. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Answer

Yes, it is OK to generate revenue once you have your green card. Your husband can also assist in developing the website without any problems if he currently has EAD, or once he receives his green card.

If your adjustment of status application (Form I-485) has been filed and you have been issued EAD (employment authorization document) you can start receiving a salary and/or profits based on the EAD prior to receiving your green card.

Ajay K. Arora