Immigration Issues/Validity of H1B

Question
Hi Ajay,

I had approved petitions of L1B Extension and H1 COS at the same time.

I was out of country for a while. And got stamped with L1 Extension with USCIS before returned to the country.

Does my H1 approval still valid? Am I allowed to move to another organization with H1?

Please advise.

Answer

You can hold only one nonimmigrant visa status at a time in the U.S., and the latest action by the USCIS is issuance of L1B status at the port-of-entry to the U.S. (as noted on the I-94 issued to you at the port-of-entry). You can activate H1B status by going outside the U.S., applying for an H1B visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate based on the H1B approval notice that you have been issued by the USCIS earlier, and entering on the unexpired H1B visa stamp issued by a U.S. Consulate. Alternatively, your H1B employer can file another H1B petition for you with the USCIS requesting change of status from L1B to H1B.

Ajay K. Arora