Immigration Issues/Conversion from B2 to H4 in USA

Question
I am currently in US on B2 visa and my stay expires in November 2013. My husband got his H1 approved and planning to change my status from B2 to H4. Is it okay to apply for visa conversion here in US itself, or need to go back to my home country and get it done there? Which one of those approaches is recommended? If I apply for a visa change while I am in US on B2 visa, is that going to be a problem for me during stamping?

Please suggest..

Thank You!

Answer

It is OK to change your status from B2 to H4 within the U.S., if you entered the U.S. at least 60 days prior to the filing of the change of status application. Incidentally, you can remain legally in the U.S. as long as the application to change status to H4 is filed prior to expiration of your B2 status in November. There is no requirement that the application must be approved prior to November, 2013.

There should be no problem with visa stamping in the future if the above recommendation of filing the change of status application no earlier than 60 days prior to entry to the U.S. is followed.

Ajay K. Arora