You are here:

Immigration Issues/Immigration and Marriage of non US resident?


Dear Mr. Singh,

I immigrated to the states back in '98, I have been a citizen for close to a decade now.

I am trying to find out some information on marrying a non-us citizen and their path to citizenship in the US.

My girlfriend is still living abroad, she has a child from a previous relationship.

標hat are the steps that I should pursue?
標hat should I be doing to assist our situation. SAving photos, love letters, emails etc?
標hat are the correct steps we should pursue?
疋o we get married overseas or should she come over to the states?
標hat paperwork is needed?
標hat are the timeframes?
標ill her child also receive citizenship?

Thank you, I really appreciate your assistance and knowledge in this matter.

Dear Crispin:
Regarding marriage petition you must first be married.  You can get married in your GF's country of residence or she can come on visa and you get married here.  

If marriage abroad - the case would be visa processed by filing of I-130 petition for her and her child (if under 18 years of age). It may take about 6-8 months for your spouse and the child to come to US on GC.

If marriage in the US - the case would be processed by filing immigrant visa petition (I-130) by you for both concurrently with GC application (I-485) for both.  It might take about 4-6 months for the spouse and the child to get an interview and GC eventually if all goes fine.  

As for supporting documents you would need tp provide evidence of bo0na fide marital relationship including photos, joint documents (bank statements, Insurance policies, etc.), affidavits from friends and family attesting having personal knowledge of your relationship, etc.  

I do hope having answered your concerns.

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.