Immigration Issues/USA tourist visa renewal

My mother(age: 74years) would be traveling to USA in November,2013. Her USA tourist visa expires in July 2014. Can she apply for the visa renewal(B2) now in August,2013(more than 6 months prior to her visa expiry)? We plan to apply for an extension this time. What are the chances to get an extension (we haven't applied for it before-this is going to be the first time)?

Dear Riya:
My understanding is that the visa may not be extended with an expiration date of more than 3 months, [however you are advised to consult with the consulate on this matter.]

She may enter the US and can stay as long permitted [even if the visa expires during that period], and you may seek extension for good cause shown. But, beware - after expiry of the visa she may have to re-apply after getting back. Again, I would advise to consult with the consulate on the matter and make plans accordingly.  

Best wishes,  

Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.

Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.