Immigration Issues/H-1B Change of Employer

Question
Hello Mr. Arora,

I am currently on OPT status till Sept 30 and my H-1B visa status will start from Oct 1 with the current company. I got a job offer around 2 weeks back and the new company filed and got LCA certified as "New Employment" as I was on OPT at that time. My questions are the following:

My new company is sending my H-1B petition packet today to be received by USCIS on or after Oct 1. I understand that some sections in I-129 are filled differently depending on if beneficiary is in OPT or H-1B status. How would the case be considered, if my new company sends the petition on Sept 30 (when I am on OPT status) but it reaches on Oct 1 (my H-1B status will start). Should they fill it as if the beneficiary is on OPT status (new employment) or H-1B status (Change in Employer). If they file as later case, will the LCA certified as new employment be valid or they have to file a new LCA for Change of Employer.

Thank you in advance.

Answer

By the time the USCIS receives the petition, you will be in H1B status (effective Oct. 01). Thus, the H1B petition should request change in employer and "extension of status." The certified LCA remains valid whether change of status or extension of status is requested.

Ajay K. Arora