Immigration Issues/H1B to J1


How can I change a visa frm H1B to J1? Can my H1B sponsor change my visa to J1? It's because with J1, my spouse can work while with H1B, my spouse who has H4 cannot work.

What do I need to do or find in order to change from H1B to J1? Do I need a lawyer or can I just request for status on m own to USCIS?

Thank you!

You may need to file form I-539 for change of status with required supporting documents.

Please visit 'USCIS.GOV' and click on forms and scroll down to form I-539. You may do it on your own but I would recommend you seek professional help because of the complexities involved in immigration law, especially in J1 Visa.

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.