Immigration Issues/Sponsoring Parent

Question
Hi Mr. Arora,

I just become citizen 3-4 month ago. my parent are coming from india next month. Should I file their Green card from USA is better ? or file when they are in India? I know its expensive from here....
but from immigration point of view...What is your advice ?

Thanks for your time and help.

Answer

Entry on visitor status does not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S. Thus, an immigrant petition should not be filed prior to their entry to the U.S. In addition, assuming that there is no preconceived intent to immigrate to the U.S., it is prudent to wait at least 2 months after entry to the U.S. to sponsor a parent. General information is here: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

The advantage of sponsoring in the U.S. is that a parent can continue to remain beyond I-94 expiration date without the need to file an extension of status and, of course, there is no consular interview.

Ajay K. Arora