Immigration Issues/Fiance visa in progress; Fiance in L-1 status currently

Question
Hi Ajay,

I am a U.S. citizen living in Texas.  During his visit to the U.S., my fiancee and I filed the Fiancee Visa paperwork.  The I-129F is currently in progress and in review status.  When he returned to Canada (he is a Spanish citizen, working on a work visa through his employer in Canada), his employer agreed to relocate him to Austin, TX.  This process happened quickly and he now has an L-1 visa to work in the U.S.  He will be moving here in December.  Can you offer advice on our next steps?  What happens now with the Fiancee visa?  Can we marry on the L1 and apply for a change in status?  Do I have to cancel our original request?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Victoria

Answer

Assuming that your fiance is maintaining his L1 status (through employment with the sponsoring employer), it is best to withdraw the I-129F petition filed with the USCIS. A simple letter requesting withdrawal is sufficient; no need to state the reason for withdrawal.

I also recommend waiting at least 60 days after submitting the withdrawal letter to the USCIS before you and your fiance consider marriage. Upon marriage, all sponsorship paperwork can be filed concurrently and your spouse (when you are married) will not be required to depart the U.S.: http://www.h1b1.com/practices/marriage-to-a-u-s-citizen/

Ajay K. Arora