Immigration Issues/Visa issues of spouse of green card holder

Question
Dear Sir, I am marrying a girl who is a green card holder. How much is waiting time for spousal immigration if she files for me. ( I am Pakistani male.)May I get visitor visa or student visa during the waiting period. Thanks

Answer

It will probably take between 1 and 2 years after your LPR (lawful permanent resident) spouse (when you are married) files an immigrant petition for a visa to be available in the F2A category: http://www.h1b1.com/practices/family-marriage-sponsorship/

It is unlikely that you will be issued a visitor or student visa by any U.S. Consulate to enter the U.S. in the interim, as you have an intention to immigrate to the U.S. and that is incompatible with most nonimmigrant visa categories.

Ajay K. Arora