Immigration Issues/Gay marriage/immigration

Question
Thank you in advance for considering to help me and others who may be in similar situations.

I'm a gay male, and I have a boyfriend who currently lives in the United Kingdom.  He's about a year off from a PhD, and once he completes it plans on moving over to live with me.

We'll be living in Pennsylvania - which recently legalized gay marriage, and from my understanding this would also open a path to allow him residence here as with DOMA struck down gay marriages would now be recognized federally as far as purposes of immigration.

I want things to be as smooth as possible for us with him immigrating to the US, and to have all my ducks in a row when the time comes for the move; we can marry as soon as the middle of this year even if the move doesn't happen until a year or so after.

What steps do we need to take - before marriage and after - to allow him to immigrate to the United States?

Answer

There are two choices: either marry in the U.K. and file a Form I-130 immigrant petition with the USCIS for your spouse, or your spouse can apply for a K1 fiance visa if you plan on marriage in the U.S. within 90 days of entry. Additional information is here: http://www.h1b1.com/practices/marriage-to-a-u-s-citizen/ and http://www.h1b1.com/practices/k-1-financ-e-visa/

Ajay K. Arora