Immigration Issues/Bridging work permit

Question
I currently have a work permit attached to a company until February 2015 but because of economic problems the company let me go, I also applied for the PR and pass the first stage. Can I applied for the open work permit, even if my current one is not close to expire? In case I applied and get rejected what would be the consequence? only losing the $150 dollars?

Answer
Dear Nicolas,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Generally, existing temporary foreign workers can apply for an Open BWP as long as they:

-are currently in Canada;
-have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within 4 months;
-have received confirmation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that their permanent resident application under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Trades Program, or a Provincial Nominee Program is eligible for processing

-Can I applied for the open work permit, even if my current one is not close to expire?
Technically, CIC has put a timeline but it depends on officer' discretion & submissions you submit along with your application.

- In case I applied and get rejected what would be the consequence?

Though it is very unlikely but yes losing of the $150 dollars and could be else, which I can't suggest you since I don't know the complete facts of your case.

Ravi
www.lawb.org  

Ravi Khosla