Immigration Issues/F1 denial and options

Question
Hi, on september 2013 my husband applied for F1 visa, he used to have H1B visa expiring on october 2013. Yesterday we received denial  notice online(we don't know the reason yet, until we get notice by mail). My question is: Do we have any chance to appeal this decision?
Thank you!

Answer

The denial of a change of status application cannot be appealed. A motion to reopen/reconsider can be filed instead. However, the filing of a MTR does not authorize legal stay in the U.S., and unlawful presence will start to accrue from the date of denial of a change of status application.

Your husband should personally consult with an immigration attorney, as the repercussions of a wrong decision are too severe to rely on online advice.

Ajay K. Arora