Immigration Issues/Status change L1 to B1/B2

Question
I am working on L1-B visa and expiring on May 17-2014 and I94 is expiring on July 15-2014. My wife is working on L2 and i94 expiring on Sep 14. We are going to file extension and my wife is pregnant and due date in Sep 1. my ques is if we get our Extnesion rejection in this time period , what will happen. My wife would not be able to travel, doctor and airline will not allow. What should we do, would we able change the status from L1 or L2 to B1 or B2 to remain in US.

Answer

It is best for your employer to file the L1 extension for you in premium processing, and if so the L2 extension application can be filed at the same time. Hopefully the USCIS will make a favorable (approval) decision prior to your I-94 expiration date and if so, there is no problem with status. However, if denied, there is a technical violation of status starting from the day after I-94 expiration date unless a change of status application (to visitor status, for example) is filed no later than I-94 expiration date.  

Ajay K. Arora