Immigration Issues/H1B clock reset

Question
Hi Ajay - just wanted to know how this H1B clock reset thing works.

Of the 6 years I have used 5 and relocated to India after an employer change. Now, if we go back to the US on the same visa after a cool off period of 1 year, do we get an extension for the remaining 1 year or does the clock get reset to 6 years?

Answer

There is a choice for the employer when filing its H1B petition to request the "remainder" of the 6 years aggregate allowed in H1B status in the U.S. (which is one year remaining in your case), or else to select a full new 6 year term based on absence from the U.S. for one year, but this latter option means that the H1B petition will be subject to the visa cap.

Ajay K. Arora