Immigration Issues/Filing another H1B with in 6 years

Question
Entered US in December 2007 and left US on May 2011. while leaving to India in May 2011, My petition was valid till Feb 2014. I stayed in India from May 2011 till April 2013(23 Months). Re-entered US with the same old petition. am i eligible to apply for new H1B under cap exemption with another employer? if I am eligible for new H1B, as per rules for how long will I get new H1B approval?

Answer

You can be in H1B status in the U.S. for 6 years total. The clock started in December 2007 and the time spent outside the U.S. is not counted. The only way to extend H1B status beyond 6 years (without being subject to the visa cap) is to have the employer timely support you for filing PERM (also known as application for labor certification).

Ajay K. Arora