Immigration Issues/F1 visa

Question
Dear Ajay,

Kindly advise me on the best way to attain F1 visa. I had B1/B2 and had visited US twice. During my second visit I obtained admission in a graduate program and applied for F1 visa on my return tp pakistan. It got rejected once and I was not given any reason. I applied the second time and got rejected again but this time they cancelled my valid B1/B2 as well.

On retrospect would you recommend getting change of status from B1/B2 to F1 instead of applying for F1 visa from Pakistan. Generally I believe change of status aplications get accepted more often but considering my Pakistani background and first time F1 application I am not sure which one would be safer.

Kindly advise.

Answer
Dear Samia,

There are more hurdles with obtaining an F1 visa than with B1/B2. I recommend applying again for B1/B2 visa at a U.S. Consulate, being careful to state (if asked) at the consular interview that you have no intention of studying in the U.S. or changing status within the U.S., and of course providing other evidence of your ties to your home country, stating the purpose of your temporary visit (visiting friends/relatives, or attending functions such as wedding or birthday) etc. The fact that you were issued B1/B2 visa earlier, and did not violate the terms of the visa, should be helpful in obtaining it again. Good luck.

Ajay K. Arora