Immigration Issues/H4 to F1

Question
Hello Ajay,

I am currently on H4 in the US. I was offered admission into a masters program here and filed for COS from H4 to F1. It's been over 4 months now but no decision from USCIS and their processing time is only 2.5 months. Based on a somewhat similar experience, friend of mine suggested that my Sevis record might be deactivated, which may affect the decision from USCIS. Is that possible? Can sevis be deactivated before getting F1 approval? If so, what can be the reason?

Answer

If the case is outside normally processing times, you can request a case status inquiry at https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/Intro.do

The USCIS will not delay adjudication for any reason as long as the application (in this case, Form I-539) is properly signed and the appropriate USCIS filing fee is attached. If you are still concerned about your SEVIS record, contact the DSO (also known as international student advisor) at the university, and this official will have access to the SEVIS database.

Incidentally, you can study in H4 status, so speak to the DSO about studying while awaiting formal approval of the change of status application.

Ajay K. Arora