Immigration Issues/Question about H1-B Extension Email Receipt

Question
Hello,

Thank you for this opportunity to ask you my query!

My employer mailed my H1-B extension petition (premium-processing) on 07/17/2014 to the Vermont Service Center (VSC) using the USPS Express mail. The tracking number on the USPS website describes the received date as 12:22 PM of 07/18/2014 and also has the name of the person who signed it.

As of today, 07/22/2014, my employer has not received the email receipt and the checks are not cashed. In all my previous H1-B
extensions, the email receipt was received in a day or two.

Two Questions:

1)In your experience, if an email receipt from VSC is not received by the end of this week and the checks are not cashed, does that mean the application was rejected in the initial screening?

2)If the application was rejected in the initial screening, does it typically take a week or so to receive the entire packet back?

Thank you!

Answer

If the H1B petition was signed properly and the filing fee checks in the correct amount, the petition will be accepted for filing and a receipt notice issued even if there is some other deficiency such as insufficient supporting documentation. However, you should allow about 10 days for the receipt notice to be issued from 07/18 by regular mail (yes, in the case of premium processing as well), although if the USCIS issues a receipt by email (which is usually does in premium processing cases), it should arrive in about 5 days after 07/18. The filing fee checks are typically not cashed by the time the receipt notice is issued.

You should not be concerned unless your I-94 is expiring very soon.

Ajay K. Arora