You are here:

Immigration Issues/emergency landing in the us without a visa


QUESTION: Hello, Hung Viet Can

I was wondering what would happen if the plane that I was in had to make an emergency landing in the US, but I have no right to be in the US.

What I mean by 'no right' is a valid visa to be legally in the country.


ANSWER: Hello,

May you explain more about your situation? What kind of visa do you have? Was it delivered to you by a US embassy or consulate?

Thank you for your attention. Best wishes.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------


Thanks for your answer.

To be more precise: I am lawfully living in Canada (though I am not a Canadian citizen). I applied for a US visa but my application got refused. I want to fly to Mexico from Canada but just in case my plane has to make an emergency landing in the US, I would not want to be deported or stopped at a detention center for not having the visa to be in the US.

Please let me know if I explained myself clearly or if you need more details

Again, thanks


Unfortunately, you have to obtain a U.S. nonimmigrant visa. The United States has suspended its policy of allowing travelers to pass through U.S. airports in transit to foreign destinations without a visa if they would otherwise require a visa to enter the U.S. Transit visa applicants must establish to the satisfaction of the Consular Officer that they intend to pass in continuous transit through the United States and that they have a residence abroad that they do not intend to abandon. Transit aliens must have onward transportation arrangements to their final destination and permission to enter some country other than the United States following the transit through the United States, unless the alien submits satisfactory evidence that such advance permission is not required.

Thank you for your attention. Best wishes.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Hung Viet Can


I can answer nearly all questions concerning Canada and U.S. immigration.


I have worked for more than 20 years in the field of Canadian immigration and more than 7 years in the field of U.S. immigration.

Attestation of Collegial Studies in Immigration Consultant

©2017 All rights reserved.