Immigration Issues/Fees for H1B Visa to Permanent Residence

Question
Hi Ajay,
I am currently in H1B status. If my employer is willing to help me with acquiring a permanent residence card, is it legal for me to shoulder all the expenses? Or just like H1B, the sponsor should pay for everything?

Answer

The employer is required by PERM regulations to pay all legal fees/advertising expenses in connection with PERM (also known as labor certification). See http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=476a28b1eb5f79c0713400d7daa06d20&mc=tru

However, I-140 and adjustment of status legal/fiilng fees can be paid by any party.

Ajay K. Arora