Immigration Issues/I-140

Question
My husband I-140 got approved 2 years ago and his H-1b is extending based on I-140 every 3 years. Since he got terminated yesterday, but based on the information we came to know that his I-140 will not be revoked with his current company. Also, Right now I am working on H4 EAD status. Since his I-140 will not be revoked for sometime, can I continue working on H4 EAD for sometime."

Answer

The USCIS has answered a similar questions thus: "What happens to my employment authorization if USCIS revokes my H-1B spouse’s Form I-140?"

"We have the discretion to revoke your employment authorization if your H-1B spouse no longer has an approved Form I-140 or is no longer eligible for H-1B status under sections 106(a) and (b) of AC21. Both you and your H-1B spouse must be maintaining your nonimmigrant status for you to be eligible for employment authorization under 8 CFR 274a.12(c)(26)."

Here is our interpretation: Since you currently possess an H4 EAD, it is safe to continue to be employed unless you receive notification from the USCIS that your EAD is terminated.

Ajay K. Arora