Immigration Issues/I-140 and priority date with new employer

Question
Hello sir,

I am working for a big MNC and My GC was filed in EB3 in 2010 and I 140 was approved. In 2013 they filed again in EB2 but still no status on PERM. Now i am planning to change company. I know new employer should file PErm and I 140 again but i am worried is there any chance my current employer can revoke old I 140? I mean can i use the old priority date still or there will be any objections from the current company. Do i need to have any copy of I 140 which i have to request from the employer? I need to be sure of that before i switch company. Please clarify.

Answer

Yes, the new employer will need to file PERM and then I-140 after PERM is certified. The old priority date can be retained, however, only if the original employer does not revoke its I-140 prior to approval of the I-140 by the new employer.

You should provide a copy of the original I-140 approval to the new employer so that the new employer can request porting of the earlier priority date (even if the original I-140 was filed in EB3 and the new I-140 will be EB2), but again this porting of priority date benefit is available only if the original employer does not revoke its I-140 petition.

Ajay K. Arora