Immigration Issues/H1B to H4

Question
Hi Ajay,

I want to transfer from H1B to H4 and I don't have the recent 7 months paystubs.

I searched on internet a lot but no one said anything about success in H4 Stamping in India but everyone suggested the same.

Do you know anyone who has successfully got the H4 stamping in India ?

Is there a 180 days bench (out of status) rule & if you cross that you will be banned for 3 years to enter USA ?

Do you think my case fall under 180 day rule ??

Thanks,

Answer

The 3 year and 10 year bars to entry to the U.S. only apply for unlawful presence in the U.S., not unlawful status. You appear to be violating H1B status at present, and it is unlikely that you will be granted change of status to H4 by filing an application to change status with the USCIS.

You should apply for the an H4 visa from a U.S. Consulate in your home country assuming that your spouse is maintaining his respective H1B status.

Ajay K. Arora