You are here:

Immigration Issues/Converting H-1 to H-4


My employer is terminating my H1 B visa in august end. I have pay stubs till June 2015. I want to apply for H4.
1. Should I apply for H-4 before august end and From USA and get stamping in anytime in India visit.
2. Should I apply for H-4 before August end from India and get the stamping.
Main question is should I leave USA before August end or I can live here and file H4 from us itself.
Thanks in advance.

Dear Vandana:
Before answering, I would strongly recommend that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney immediately because this might take detail discussion with evidence regarding your situation.  However, per your query:
1) You may,
2) You may but not prudent to do that,
3) You can and - looking at your query - that seems better option.  

However, as recommended please do have an unperson consultation with an experienced immigration attorney ASAP!

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.