Immigration Issues/Switching positions in same company

Question
Hello,

I am currently working in company A. My I-140 is approved and am planning to switch to a new position in another department (that entails significantly different job duties) in the same company. I wanted to ask whether I would be able to use the experience gained in the current job for the new labor certification application related to the new position.

Thanks..

Answer

The employer can file a new labor certification (also known as PERM) taking your employment experience with the same employer as the basis for the experience requirement of the new job if the duties of the new job are more than 50% dissimilar from the earlier PERM application. General information about PERM is here: http://www.h1b1.com/practices/perm-labor-certification/

Ajay K. Arora