Immigration Issues/H1B to F1 change of status I-140 in process

Question
Hello Sir,

I'm on my H1b and got my PhD admission and want to change my status to F1, I wanted to apply for COS, i heard that having I140 under process is an issue to show no immigrant intent.is that true?

And i had other question once i applied for Change of Status can i start attending school full time or do i need to work on my H1b unitl F1 gets approved?

Answer

Change of status to F1 is not likely to be successful, as either a pending or approved I-140 petition shows an intention to immigrate to the U.S., and that is incompatible with F1 nonimmigrant visa status, unlike H1B/H4 status which is 'dual-intent' and does allow for an intention to immigrate to the U.S.

Studying in H1B status is permissible, as long as the candidate is also employed as per the terms and conditions of the H1B petition.

Ajay K. Arora