Immigration Issues/H4 TO H1b ; I94 Expires

Question
I am on h4 visa in usa with h4 valid till Aug 2017 & i94 till sept 12 2016. I have applied for h1b visa in apr 2016 & my application got selected in the lottery. I am concerned that I may get an RFE out of status from sep 12 to oct 1. In that case, what should i do? What documents should i submit?

Answer
To continue to remain in the U.S., an application to extend H4 status should be filed with the USCIS no later than the I-94 expiration date of Sep. 12, 2016. However, if and when the H4 extension application is approved after the anticipated H1B effective approval date of Oct. 01, your status will change from H1B back to H4. Therefore, be prepared to depart the U.S. and obtain an H1B visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad...when you enter the U.S. with an H1B visa, your entry will be in H1B status. You will not have to worry about accidentally changing back to H4 status since a pending H4 extension application will become invalid upon departure from the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora