Immigration Issues/H1B to H4

Question
Hi Ajay,
I am planning to switch from H1B to H4 visa. Can I apply for H4 (through my husband's company) but still continue to work on H1B. How long can I work? Is it until H4 receipt of notice or until H4 visa approval.

Thanks,
Aditi

Answer
Hi Aditi,

You can continue to be employed in H1B status until the H4 application requesting change of status to H4 is actually approved by the USCIS. At that time, you will be in H4 status and therefore must discontinue employment with your H1B employer if your employment has not already been terminated.

Ajay K. Arora