Immigration Issues/I-30 receipt

Question
How long does it take to get a receipt showing they received your I-30 and other related forms? I sent all requested including $190. MoneyGram on 5/14/07   I am a US citizen by birth as are my parents. I petitioned for my Taiwanese wife who I have been married to for 3 years( married in US) and is in America now since Feb25th on visitor visa.(third time here) She is supposed to leave the US on Aug. 24 (she will have been here 6 months)  Worried as time is nearing and no receipt. should she leave in Aug. or stay since I have already filed?. Plus we have 6 month old daughter here who is US citizen. Can I go to the local INS in San Antonio texas and find out anything?

Answer

If you have only filed I-130, your wife would need to maintain her nonimmigrant status (such as visitor visa status) and should therefore depart the U.S. before her I-94 expires.

If the I-485 has been filed (adjustment of status application, signed by your wife), then there is no need for your wife to depart the U.S. She can legally continue to remain in the U.S.

It can take one month to receive the receipt notice. You should check with your bank to see if the filing fee checks have been cashed by the USCIS. If so, the receipt number should be written on the back of the checks (you can obtain copy of these checks from your bank).

You can go to your local USCIS office by making an appointment through InfoPass: http://infopass.uscis.gov/

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora