You are here:

Immigration Issues/I 485 for person living abroad?


I am a US citizen and have a stepdaughter that lives in Colombia.  I am wanting to bring her to live with my husband and I.  What are my first steps? Should I just file a I130 to the Texas service center and once she is here file a I485?  Do I have to file a I864 along with the I130.  Would the process be faster if I go the US embassy in Colombia and petition her?

File just the I-130 at Texas. Once it is approved, it will be forwarded to the National Visa Center and they will ask for financial documents. When you file the I-130 you need to include your marraige certificate, her birth certificate and proof that you are a USC.

This way will take about 1 year. The other option is if she has or can get a toursit visa and then after she comes here you can fiule the I-130 and I-485 here.



Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.