You are here:

Immigration Issues/Is I-539 sufficient for L1 to F1 status change?


Hi Ramasamy,

I want to know what is the procedure for L1 to F1 status change.
Along with the I-539 and a letter of admission to a university, what are the other documents required to obtain a status change and where can I submit these documents?
Also, what is the timeframe attached with a change like this?

Thank you!! :)

Dear Shantnu:
To change to F-1 Status you need a I-20 issued to you from the school you are plannning to attend. You need to attach this to your I-539 and submit documents to establish that you have the financial ability to support your study and that you have been maintaining your current status.
To do this you need to contact the school's international student advisor and take it from there.


Ramasamy Krishnan
Ashley & Krishnan
9801 Westheimer, Suite 302
Houston, TX 77042

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.