Immigration Issues/I-751 Issues



Dear Robert,

I live in Baltimore, MD. I got my Green card in 2001 through my ex wife who was a US Citizen. We filed jointly in 2003 to remove the conditions (I-751 petition). They sent me a letter extending my Green card for 1 year. But I haven't heard from them since then. I always go to Baltimore to get my passport stamped for 1 year. I had a transfer notice 8 months ago stating that my file was transferred to California Service Ctr for the completion of the adjudication. but I never heard anything. It's been over 4 years now since I filed this I-751. Now, I got divorced back in 2005 & I don't know what to do? I want to file for N-400 for Citizenship but not sure if i wanna do that before they solve my case, I can't afford to lose $350.00 if they can't process it. Please let me know if you can help or if you have any legal advice for me.

Thank you,  

Because you go divorced you must refile I-751, checking off the box you got divorced. Once they call you in for the interview on your current application, they will deny it since you got divorced in the meantime. You need a new filing. Do not do citizenship application until the I-751 is resolved.



Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]