Immigration Issues/Acting


Hello, I am 15 years old and moved to California from Zürich,
Switzerland. I am on a visa, (my mom is an international
student.) I did a lot of acting in Switzerland and when I moved
here I found out I could not act because I need to get a social
security number. There are other ways, I just don't know them,
and since I don't have a greencard it makes it really hard for my
family. Does acting in the entertainment buisness with agencies
go under a work permit? Can I even get a work permit since I am
a minor, and will it even help me? I would appreciate I got an
answer that could advise me of what my next step is. Thanks!

There are ways, but you and your family will need to contact a reputable immigration lawyer with some experience in these matters.  I must admit I do not have experience in the entertainment industry.  But I know there are special visa to cover entertainers, and I am sure there are ways of getting things done.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.