You are here:

Immigration Issues/Adjustment status interview


my question is my husband is a US citizen and currenty deployed overseas in support of operation enduring freedom in the middle east petitioned me to get my green card here. the problem is that I just got a letter from INS saying that my adjustment status interview is in a few weeks. It states to bring my spouse with me. my husband is deployed and I dont know what to do. Should I just go to the interview by myself and explain to them that he is in the US army and deployed and showed them the power of attorney and his military orders or what? I was just wondering would they make an exception since he is not here?

Go to the meeting, and explain. Always explain.  There are special procedures for spouses of US military, and they will explain when you get there.  Bring as much evidence of the legitmacy of the marriage; bills showing you both live at the same address, pictures together, car insurance, etc. Bring evidence of him being in the military.  Worse case scenario they will reset the hearing until he can come in with you.  Don't worry.  

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.