Immigration Issues/Applying to AOS during F1 grace period

Question
My F1 OPT expires on 01/02/2007. I have applied for a COS to H4 (based on my husband's approved H1B visa) on 12/08/06. My husband has a pending I-140 petition (upgraded to premium processing) for the EB1-OR category.
1. If the petition gets approved, can I apply to AOS, even after the expiration of my OPT and before approval of H4?
I am worried specifically about filling I-485:
2. What will my status be after the expiration of my OPT? 3. Can I say is still F1 with an expiration date of 01/02/2007?
4. Do I need to explain that I am on a grace period and/or to attach the H4 application receipt?

Thank you in advance for your time.  

Answer

If your husband's I-140 under EB1 category is approved, AOS for you and your husband can be filed together, even if your H-4 has not yet been approved by that time. You would attach H-4 receipt notice to the AOS application. (Actually, AOS could have been filed concurrently with the I-140 under EB1 category due to currently available visa in this category, but some people prefer to wait to file AOS until I-140 is approved).

You have 60-day grace period after OPT expires. If the H-4 has still not been approved during the grace period, you can continue to remain legally in the U.S. since the application to change status to H-4 was filed while you were maintaining F1 OPT status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora