Immigration Issues/Applying for a J1 and transferring to a H1B

Question

I'm an Irish scientist and have accepted a job as a postdoctoral researcher in Denver starting in Aug. Its a new institute and I've been recruited by the new department head.

We're currently trying to sort out Visa issues and as its only 4 months away we think that the J1 may be the best bet. I do think that a H1-B is the visa I will require inthe long term so my question is, can I apply for a J1 visa and then transfer as soon as possible to a H1-B?

Would that be frowned upon and if so, is there a better solution?

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Simon,

Yes, it is OK to enter the U.S. on J-1 visa. The H-1B petition can be filed later, and you will be granted change of status to H-1B assuming that you are not subject to the 2-year home country requirement.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora