You are here:

Immigration Issues/Have Approval Notice - need visa



I need to travel urgently - in about 2 weeks and I have an approved i-797.  What is the quickest way to get an updated Visa stamp in my passport.  I'm unclear on the process.


ANSWER: Peter:

I need further details than merely stating "approved I-797", you need to give further details on what type of visa you have an "approved I-797" for me to answer your question.

Ramasamy Krishnan

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Sorry - its an H1-B extension that comes with a new i-94 on the bottom.

Peter: If you are going to Canada or Mexico for a short trip then you do not need a visa.

The first option would be for you to  check what are the visa availability dates for obtaining a visa either in Mexico or Canada. The other option would be for you to call that country's US consulate and check if they will accept third country nationals to apply for a visa while you are there. This would be the quickest route to take.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.