You are here:

Immigration Issues/B-1 Visa status change


My girlfriend is from China and has a B-1 visa that lasts for 1 year. We both want to get married and be with each other as soon as possible. We would like to avoid filing for a K-1 visa. I was wondering if it was possible for her to come to the US, get married and change her status to something permanent or get a green card. Thanks.

Yes. That is the easiest and most common way of doing. The only secret is that if she is asked at the airport why she is coming, she needs to NOT say to get married. The B visa is a temporary non-immigrant visa, and if she admitted to wanting to enter to get married, she would be turned away.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]