Immigration Issues/B-1 Visa status change

Question
My girlfriend is from China and has a B-1 visa that lasts for 1 year. We both want to get married and be with each other as soon as possible. We would like to avoid filing for a K-1 visa. I was wondering if it was possible for her to come to the US, get married and change her status to something permanent or get a green card. Thanks.

Answer
Yes. That is the easiest and most common way of doing. The only secret is that if she is asked at the airport why she is coming, she needs to NOT say to get married. The B visa is a temporary non-immigrant visa, and if she admitted to wanting to enter to get married, she would be turned away.

Alexander J. Hay