Immigration Issues/B1 Visa runs out


Dear Sir,

I find this sites very interesting and helpully to people like me who is seeking advise about immigration issues.

I came here in US twice for business purposes and meeting my gf. I am holding B1 visa and has been runs out since April 2007. My questions is me and my gf will be getting marry next month November. My gf is a US citizen.

1. Would this will change my status as GC?
2. Do I fine for my overstays? How much?
3. Is there any income level requirements for a US for her to petition me?

I am here in United States and we both love each other so much. Thank you and hope to hear you soon.

Best regards and thank you so much for your time.


If you get married, and if your wife files for you, then you can stay legally and there will be no fine or penalty. However, if you do not get married, then DO NOT OVERSTAY YOUR VISA by more than 180 days after the date of the visa expiration.  So you are putting yourself in a bad situation if you do not get married. Don't know what to tell you.  

As for income levels, you will have to prove that your joint income is above the poverty level. If you and she get a job this should be no problem. You will be able to get a temporary work authorization when you apply for the permanent resident visa.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.