You are here:

Immigration Issues/Best way for U.S. Citizen to marry a foreigner


I am a U.S. citizen, living and working in the U.S.  My fiancee is a Taiwanese national residing in Canada, finishing her Master's Degree in 2 months.  A couple years before we met, she also got a B1 B2 visa for the U.S.  I have given her a ring, but haven't been to Taiwan for a formal engagement.

1) Can we get a fiancee visa for her in Canada, or does she have to return to Taiwan?
2) Since she has the B1 B2 visa, does she need the fiancee visa?
3) If she decides to return to Taiwan, can she stop by to visit? (She has a ring - will it raise questions?)
4) Is it OK to get the fiance visa and marry in Taiwan and the U.S?
(sorry for asking so many questions at once.)

If she has the B1 she can just come. She just needs to NOT say anything about getting married. Once she is in it will be fine.  Then when you get married you process the visa here. If she needs to go back she can get permission, and she can get a work authorization while you are waiting.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.