Immigration Issues/Border Entry



My Wife was banned from entering the U.S. for 3 years due to overstaying, she is a Canadian Citizen and I'm an American.we are now residing in Calgary Canada ( I was approved as a legal
canadian resident) but we are planning to go to the States to Visit my Parents because they want to see their newlyborn grandson.her 3 years ban is over so my question is, are we going to have a hard time with the "Border Entry" procedure since she had the record of overstaying?..Do we need to file for a specific document to make the trip less painful?.. as I said our intent is only to Visit but the Border officers might see otherwise.
what documents do I need to bring upon entry? I am an American Citizen ( Naturalization) and also just became a permanent Canadian Resident, My son is also an American Citizen. My wife and My other son are both Canadian Citizen.
any help regarding this matter is much appriciated, Thank you.

Dear Michael:

I would suggest that you obtain a B2 visa at the US consulate disclosing her prior overstay. Provide reasons for her overstay and take documentation of your intention to return to Canada(lease, job verification, school...etc.) to convince the consular officials.

All the best.

Ramasamy Krishnan


Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.